Does Lavender Help With Sleep?
Little Yawn Collective - Jul 28, 2021
Does lavender help you sleep better at night? It smells nice. It is beautiful. But do the benefits go beyond that? Aromatherapy has been around for years and the power of it is often underestimated. Certain smells can trigger certain responses in your brain. It is researched that the smell of grapefruit can reduce appetite, mint can help make you feel more alert and smelling lavender is used by many to help them relax. But what are the benefits of using lavender as a sleep aid?
What is lavender?
Lavender is a type of plant known for its purple flowers and pleasant, relaxing scent. It is a very popular addition to many herb gardens and is often used in potpourri, air fresheners, bath and beauty products, teas and scented sachets. Its scent can have a calming and relaxing effect on the body.
Does lavender really help with sleep?
If your sleep problems are often caused by worry and restlessness, the scent of lavender is known to help you relax enough to ease into a good night's sleep.
How to take lavender for sleep
There are lots of ways to make lavender a part of your sleep routine. They include:
- Use lavender essential oil in an aroma diffuser.
- Use lavender essential oil in your bath.
- Rub a lavender lotion on your chest and perhaps under your nose before bed.
- Use a lavender pillow spray on your pillow and bedsheets.
- Place a lavender scent bag next to your pillow or on your bedside table.
- Keep a bowl of dried lavender next to your bed.
- Wave a sprig of lavender under your nose before you go to sleep.
- Keep a bottle of lavender essential oil by your bed to open and smell if you wake up in the night.
- Make a lavender sleep tea that you can sip on as you are getting ready to go to bed.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.